UK woman receives asbestos compensation for husband's mesothelioma deathA Somerset, England woman recently won £290,000 in asbestos compensation from a water pumping company after her husband was reportedly exposed to the carcinogen on the job and died of malignant mesothelioma.
According to the BBC, David Bean was employed by the company as an engineer and was not given protection while visiting pumping stations that contained boilers lined with asbestos. The asbestos attorney for Bean's wife, Jean, said that the money would be compensation for loss of income after David died at the age of 73.
"He was never given protective masks or clothing and continued to be exposed to asbestos until he left the company in 1992," the attorney said. "Mr. Bean was healthy until September 2010 when he developed chest pains, coughing and breathlessness. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma."
In addition to mesothelioma, exposure to asbestos can lead to the development of lung cancer and asbestosis. All told, such illnesses claim the lives of approximately 107,000 individuals around the world each year, according to estimates from the World Health Organization.