UK man who was exposed to asbestos died of lung cancerA UK man who was exposed to asbestos at work developed lung cancer and died as a result, a coroner's inquest was told recently.
John Howard of Blackrod, UK, was diagnosed last year with mesothelioma, a deadly disease caused by exposure to asbestos, Bolton Coroners Court was told. According to the Bolton News, Howard was admitted to Bolton Hospice on April 23, and died five days later at the age of 58.
Speaking at the inquest, Leslie Howard called his brother "a fighter" and said he "did as much as he could in the last two months of his life, which was fantastic."
Howard worked as a wood machinist and was exposed to the dangerous mineral while working with a boiler in the late 1960s and early 1980s, according to the news provider. He became sick in April and a post-mortem examination found asbestos particles in his lungs.
"He is sadly missed by everyone who knew him," Leslie Howard said.
Asbestos exposure can cause mesothelioma, as well as asbestosis and lung cancer.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12