UK man succumbs to malignant mesothelioma decades after exposure to asbestosA 77-year-old UK man passed away from mesothelioma decades after he was reportedly exposed to asbestos while working as a joiner at building yards, an inquest heard recently.
According to the Ellesmere Port Pioneer, William Griffin of Great Sutton died on November 23, 2011, after enduring months of radiotherapy and suffering breathing problems. An inquest at Chester Magistrates Court heard that Griffin began an internship at the age of 15 where he reportedly encountered a "small amount of asbestos," the news source reports.
Later in his life, Griffin worked for a construction company and then became self-employed as a subcontractor. During this time, the inquest heard that Griffin was exposed to significant quantities of asbestos.
"It is clear Mr. Griffin had quite a degree of exposure to asbestos over the years and in the last few months of his life his conditions deteriorated significantly," Michael Wallbank, assistant deputy coroner for Cheshire, told the inquest.
In addition to malignant mesothelioma, asbestos exposure has been linked to the development of asbestosis and lung cancer. These illnesses are responsible for approximately 107,000 deaths around the world each year, according to estimates from the World Health Organization.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12