UK housing association adjusts asbestos planThe Two Rivers Housing Association in Gloucestershire, UK, recently made changes to its asbestos handling procedures after a tenant was reportedly exposed to the carcinogenic mineral, the BBC reports.
According to the news provider, a report by the association's housing ombudsman found that guidelines had not been properly followed during work on the tenant's home.
Contractors were alleged to have cut through a board, which was later discovered to contain asbestos, in order to fix a problem with condensation, the news source said. The association later admitted that it had not followed the proper procedures.
Brian Jackson, owner of the property that was affected by the procedural breach, told the news source that he was concerned for his health as well as the safety of other tenants.
"I was really really frightened - I've always tried to look after myself - and to think I've been exposed to asbestos through no fault of my own makes me really angry," he said.
Exposure to asbestos has been proven to cause a number of deadly diseases including asbestosis, lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12