Scotland retailer fined after asbestos discoveryJohn Lewis PLC, a retailer with three branches in Scotland, is facing a significant fine after admitting it failed to properly check for asbestos while completing renovations at a store in Edinburgh, according to Scottish Television.
The Edinburgh Sheriff Court heard recently that renovation work was being conducted at the management suite at the city's St. James Centre in July 2008 when asbestos was discovered between two radiators.
While an inspection was carried out and the asbestos-containing board was sent for analysis, work was allowed to continue, despite the fact that the site should have been shut down, according to the news provider.
The court heard that approximately 15 workers could have been exposed to the deadly material as a result of the failure to suspend the work.
In addition, fiscal deputy Maureen McGovern told the court that a Type Three survey should have been conducted either by the retailer or its contractors prior to the renovation, but this did not occur.
While a Type Two survey was carried out, the test was ruled to be not thorough enough, as the asbestos went undetected.
Asbestos exposure has been proven to cause deadly diseases such as mesothelioma, asbestosis and lung cancer.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12