Library renovations delayed by asbestosAsbestos was recently found during the renovation of a library in Australia, closing the facility for another four weeks.
The deadly mineral was found by workers at the Brunswick Heads Branch Library while renovations were being performed, according to Byron Shire News.
Byron Council property manager Trish Kirkland told the news source that asbestos cleanup was being performed at the library by certified experts and that the work had been authorized by Workcover, an Australian federal workplace safety agency.
“As a result [of the asbestos removal], additional time is required to remove the asbestos before the renovations can be completed,” she said.
The renovation was scheduled to cost $37,000, which came from the Australian government's second round Regional and Local Community Infrastructure Program.
According to the news source, the renovations included the painting of the building and some minor repair work.
It is essential that asbestos be removed from all buildings during renovations or demolitions. If the deadly mineral's fibers become airborne and are inhaled they can cause a number of serious illnesses, such as malignant mesothelioma, asbestosis and lung cancer.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12