Family of former UK soccer coach claims he died from asbestos exposureThe family of a former manager of the UK soccer team Cambridge United claims that he died as a result of exposure to asbestos, the Cambridge News reports.
According to the news provider, 81-year-old Alan Moore, who died in 2008, was the first player-coach and player-manager of the team between December 1959 and October 1963.
Moore's family and their asbestos attorney have brought their case to the Royal Courts of Justice in London and claim that the man was exposed to the dangerous material for six years during the 1940s while he worked as an electrician.
"It is well-known that asbestos-related disease can lie dormant for many years before manifesting itself," said the family's asbestos lawyer. "In Alan’s case he first experienced significant asbestos-related respiratory disability in early 2007."
Exposure to asbestos can cause a range of serious illnesses including malignant mesothelioma, lung cancer and asbestosis. According to the World Health Organization, approximately 107,000 people worldwide die from asbestos-related diseases each year.