Connecticut family wins $2.4 million in asbestos compensationThe family of a former New Haven, Connecticut tile setter who succumbed to malignant mesothelioma in January 2010 was recently awarded $2.4 million in compensation, the Connecticut Post reports.
According to the news source, Hannibal "Scottie" Saldibar died at the age of 84 after working as a tile setter for three decades. A Superior Court jury deliberated for approximately three hours before finding the Tile Council of North America liable for the man's death.
The jury awarded the man's family $1.6 million, while Judge Dale Radcliffe ordered the Tile Council to pay another $800,000 in punitive damages, the news source said.
The asbestos attorney representing the family told the Post that Tile Council of North America was responsible for manufacturing asbestos-containing mortar used by tile setters for a number of years.
In addition to malignant mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer, asbestos exposure has been proven to cause lung cancer and asbestosis, a lung disease that causes symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing and chest pain, according to the Mayo Clinic.