Australian family forced from home following contractor's asbestos mishapA family from Chelsea in Victoria, Australia, was recently forced to evacuate their home after a contractor allegedly showered the building with asbestos while hosing down a neighbor's roof.
According to the Mordialloc Chelsea Leader, testing revealed that three types of asbestos were found on the property. Additionally, three other houses on the street were reportedly affected by the contractor's mistake.
Len Cubbit, one of the property owners, told the news source that he decided to move his family after seeking medical advice. The asbestos cleanup process is reportedly expected to cost thousands of dollars, according to the Leader.
"They’ll have to vacuum and wash the brickwork, remove 100mm of soil, the paving, trees and shrubs will all have to go - and possibly the air conditioning and water services as well - it’s an environmental disaster," Cubitt explained.
In such instances, taking every precaution is crucial as exposure to asbestos has been proven to cause a range of serious illnesses including lung cancer, asbestosis and malignant mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer that attacks the tissues surrounding many of the body's inner organs.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12