Asbestos to be removed from college campus during renovationAsbestos specialists are preparing to remove the harmful mineral that was found during a renovation project at Carlisle College in England, during the upcoming week.
According to the News & Star, the &163;9 million transformation of the college was part of the second phase to revamp the college, which is located in the center of the city.
Construction will continue after the asbestos has been carefully abated, according to the news source. The work that is currently taking place is part of the college's second renovation phase. The first phase included the construction of a new wing, and the second one will see the rebuilding of the facility?s old wings. The new two-story building will house a kitchen, cafe, student shop and beauty salons for hair and beauty students.
Asbestos was commonly used in building materials in the 20th century due to its insulating properties. However, exposure to asbestos dust can lead to deadly diseases, such as mesothelioma, asbestosis or lung cancer, according to the World Health Organization. Doctors find it very difficult to diagnose the effects of asbestos exposure, as it can take up to several decades for symptoms to appear.
Copper thefts may increase locals' risk of asbestos exposure, http://www.heraldnews.com/newsnow/x1922376864/Asbestos-spread-by-copper-thieves-will-cost-Fall-River-Housing-Authority-78-000, 12/14/12
Massachusetts school custodians learn about asbestos exposure, http://www.wickedlocal.com/norwell/news/x2105847083/Norwell-participates-in-asbestos-awareness-training#axzz2Ese9TA66, 12/14/12
Experts question integrity of asbestos exposure reports, international collaboration, https://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=1761, 12/14/12
Northern Ireland campaign will educate tradespeople, others about asbestos exposure, http://m.u.tv/news/300-NI-asbestos-deaths-in-five-years/e3426c38-0a85-47ff-b68f-3e2d4fbbe3cd, 12/11/12